Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Feb 18, 2011 "Thursday/Friday Arrival!"

We are here! We are here! We are here! (Horton Hears a Who reference). I just tried out for our school musical, Seussical the Musical, so I find myself quoting things.Anyways, we are here! And it feels like home! We had a wonderful send off on Thursday night, after 2 great days at school, where all my friends were totally awesome and gave me lots of surprises and hugs and wishes of luck.
To offset all the wonderful things that were happening, the wrong bus came to pick us up. I didn’t see it, but apparently it was tiny, and the driver had to drive back to Dell Rapids and pick up a new bus, then come back to pick us up. While bonding with my team was fun, it set us back about two hours. We left closer to 11, rather than the scheduled 9 PM. But with God’s help, we made it to the airport in time to catch our flight to Atlanta, Georgia. The bus ride was a roller coaster of temperatures; we never seemed to get it just right. Rayann and I sat next to each other for a while and did some Spanish flash cards, then I retreated back to my original spot and tried my hardest to sleep. The first plane ride was slightly horrible, the plane was tiny and I was completely uncomfortable. We raced through the Atlanta airport and boarded our plane to Guatemala City. I FINALLY got a window seat! First time EVER! Next to me was my Grandpa Schaap, and then after him was my Grandma Schaap. I think Grandma and I enjoyed having Grandpa in the middle, because it was easier to torture him that way. Grandma had a new puzzle book, well new to me. I don’t remember what it was called. Anagrams or something odd like that. She let me help her on one, and I think I’m going to buy one for myself!
Anyways, we flew into Guatemala city, avoided customs for the most part, probably because we were told NOT to wear our matching t shirts, and loaded up our bus to Doña Isabel. Our plane landed around 1 pm I’m assuming, I sort of lost track of time having not slept the night before. Our same bus driver from last year, Estuardo, picked us up and drove us to the hotel. I sat by my good ol’ bus buddy Brent, but I was extremely cold and tired, so I didn’t talk much. We happily arrived to see Lydia and her wonderful hotel. The weather is a great 72 with a slight cold breeze. I walked in, threw my luggage on the green grass, and told Rayann I was home.
I was pretty nasty after the long trip, so I raced to the shower. It was freezing cold, but it feels good to be clean. I now am sporting no makeup, wet hair, big basketball shorts, my bright orange mission shirt, and FLIP FLOPS! Oh how wonderful it feels!
Supper will be served at five, so I’ll head there. Just so you know, internet is SUPER spotty, so as we say at church, “No news is good news.” So if the blogs stop for a few days, it’s because there is no internet, not because I tragically died.
Leave lots of comments! Love you all! Thanks for the prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment